Life is constantly offering us new and unexpected challenges, but one of the main ways we can rise to meet these challenges is by choosing to nurture our relationships. At Rowe, we are proud to partner with our amazing retailers across the country, and consider each one of them to be a part of our Rowe family. As we continue to adjust to a temporary “new normal” involving much more staying at home and fewer opportunities for socializing, we’d like to share some of the best ways we can support the local retail community we depend on. After all, we can all make choices that protect our communities and help small businesses to thrive!
Choosing to spend our dollars on local businesses pumps not only revenue but also confidence back into the community, and will allow our favorite shops and restaurants to rebound more quickly when public life fully resumes again. What can you do? Small gestures, like ordering a meal from a local restaurant and tipping staff generously at pickup can have a huge impact. Missed an event, such as a concert or theatre performance? Consider writing off the ticket cost as a tax-deductible donation rather than asking for a refund. And since staying home offers more opportunities to get up close & personal with your space, this may be the perfect time to refresh and replace old furnishings with new ones you love!
Pro-Tip: Take Time to Make Over Your Space!
If you’ve been putting off a home redesign, now may be the perfect time to give your space a makeover! Let’s face it, we’re all spending more time at home right now. If you’re tired of staring at the faded print on your sofa day after day, consider ordering new pieces from a local Rowe Furniture retailer. Sprucing up your surroundings is a great way to boost morale at home, and it provides valuable support for local shops who need to make ends meet.
Small businesses are a vital part of the social and economic fabric of a community, and it’s up to the community to support them, both in good times and in difficult ones. Supporting just one small business may enable a web of hundreds of other related companies (from manufacturers and suppliers to shippers) to thrive as part of their partnerships, keeping thousands of people employed. If there’s one thing we have learned in these uncertain times, it is that we are all interconnected like a family — and like a family, we will get through this together!
Top Five Ways to Support Your Favorite Local Retailers
- Buy a gift certificate or voucher from businesses that remain closed or are operating at limited capacity. This sends much-needed cash flow at a time when it is most needed, but also sends a message of confidence — it says, we’re still with you even in these difficult times!
- Use credit or debit cards, or another form of electronic, contactless payment. Reducing the use of cash and coins is an excellent way to minimize the spread of germs, which is an important way we can all keep our communities healthy.
- Consider a small local shop before turning to a megaretailer or chain. Even small retailers these days often offer e-commerce options, and they may be happy to deliver the goods or offer easy curbside pickup.
- Refer a friend to a business you love, give them a shoutout on social media or leave a positive review on Yelp. Boosting the signal of a small business in the community can be just as valuable as revenue.
- Send a little love – send a thank you email or even a sweet handwritten note to the businesses you love, just letting them know you appreciate all they do!